The Scientific Councils provide the FCT Board with strategic advice and
recommendations on developing, implementing and modifying science and
technology support programmes. The scientific councils’ advice and
recommendations draw on a range of perspectives from across key stakeholder
groups, including academia, business, third sector organisations and
Each Scientific Council is composed of approximately 14 members and meets on
a regular basis (usually every two months).
It is the Scientific Councils’ remit to …
- Advise on FCT’s strategic plans for research, training and knowledge
exchange, in order to increase Portugal’s scientific competitiveness;
- Advise FCT on building a multidisciplinary research community and
supporting internationally competitive science in Portugal;
- Provide an appropriate environment for testing new ideas.
Members of the Scientific Councils should have ...
- A recognised record of scientific achievement;
- A well-established record of working at senior level and/or experience in
managing departments or organisations either in academia or in a
- A background in one of the four scientific domains.
- A specific interest in the work of the Scientific Councils.
Members of the Scientific Councils are expected to ...
- Convey the perspective of Portuguese key stakeholder groups including
academia, business, government and society;
- Act as a “generous generalists” rather than supporters of a particular
discipline or sector;
- Work collectively to address difficult issues from a number of
perspectives that may have competing priorities;
- Have knowledge of the national scientific system and a broad
international perspective, with a specific focus on societal challenges and
Nomination and Selection Process
FCT launched an Expression of
Interest call from which the members of the Scientific Councils were
selected, based on their scientific merit, experience and motivation,
according to the
Terms of Reference of the call.
Members of the scientific councils, including the president and
vice-president, hold the position for one year, renewable up to four times.