Fellowships and Grants
2009 Call for
Doctoral Scholarships in the framework of the UTAustin—Portugal Program
In the framework of the UT Austin|Portugal Program, the FCT opens a call for:
PhD Scholarships, taking place in Portugal and at University of
Texas, at Austin, in the following areas::
Digital Media, nas seguintes áreas:
- Audiovisual and Interactive Content Creation (including film and
television, interactive music and sound design, participative media
for education and culture);
- Industry, Public and Markets.
Advanced Computing, in the following areas:
- Computer Science, namely in methodologies and techniques in
High—performance-computing (HPC), distributed/grid computing and
large-scale data analysis and management;
- Computational Engineering or Science with specific requirements
in advanced computing.
Mathematics, in the following areas:
- Algebra and Number Theory;
- Applied and Numerical Analysis;
- Analysis and Partial Differential Equations;
- Geometry and Topology;
- Stochastic Processes and Mathematical Finance;
- Dynamic Systems.
Documents required for submission
Completed Application Form (in English);
- Complete résumé with academic and professional experience (in
- Transcripts explicitly indicating the degrees received and the date
- Letters of Recommendation; these may be written by professors or
employers (in English);
- Statement of Purpose explaining the reasons why the candidate wants to
apply to one of these degrees, the relevance of his/her investigation to
society and the objectives of his/her studies (in English);
- Name and CV of the proposed mentor if available (in English);
- Proposed work plan draft (in English);
- TOEFL or IELTS Scores (optional, to value the application);
- GRE Scores (optional, to value the application);
- GRE Mathematics Subject Test Scores (optional, only to value the
application in Mathematics).
The scholarship is only given to those candidates that are able to
demonstrate that they were accepted on one of the PhD Programs by a
Portuguese University involved with the UT Austin|Portugal Program for the
Scholarships are granted under the conditions stated by the Estatuto
do Bolseiro de Investigação (Lei nº 40/2004, de 18 de Agosto) and
in accordance with the Regulamento
da Formação Avançada e Qualificação de Recursos Humanos of FCT.
The scholarships are funded by the QREN Portugal 2007-2013 Operational
Program Human Potential and by funds from the Ministry of Science, Technology
and Higher Education.
The call will be open from April 1st 2009 until midnight April
30th 2009 (Lisbon Time).
Application to these scholarships is open to all candidates that comply with
the requirements established on Article
17 of the Regulation on Advanced Training and Qualification of Human
Resources of the Foundation for Science and Technology.
The candidates to PhD scholarships who have held the same type of scholarship
under other FCT Programs will be limited to a maximum number of years of
support. The number of years of support will be a sum of the previous and
The evaluation of candidates will be based on the merit and motivation of the
applicants. The evaluation panel will review the applications, analyze the
candidate’s merits and motivations, and produce an ordered list of the
Regulations are available from
The applications should be submitted, including transcripts and letters of
recommendation, to firstname.lastname@example.org or
by post to the Program’s address, starting April 1st 2009.
For more information about this call, please visit the Program’s official
website (http://www.utaustinportugal.org) or
direct your questions to the directors of your interest area: email@example.com (for Digital Media),
Advanced Computing) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for
Programa UT Austin-Portugal
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Phone: +351 21 294 78 56
Fax: +351 21 294 78 57