The Maria de Sousa Call for PhD Studentships – 2021: SEAGULL - Seeking Epidemiological and Virological Answers is aimed at the development of knowledge to create the skills required to answer to epidemiologic and virologic phenomena, that may translate into efficient prevention measures, better healthcare and an effective support to citizens.
The Call will support applications in any scientific field that contribute to the following objectives:
- Epidemiology and risk factors for infection, and severe illness caused by the virus;
- Human-animal interaction, mechanisms of resistance and inter-species transmission of the virus, and the risk of pandemics;
- Prevention and preparedness strategies for new epidemics, including vaccines;
- Innovative approaches, including new methods and new technologies, for the disease diagnosis;
- Characterization of the viral infection mechanisms;
- Characterization of the host's immune, cellular and serological, response to infection by the virus, impact of age and comorbidities;
- Development of new therapies and new therapeutic approaches, including life support and personal protection equipment to fight the disease;
- Effects of viral infection on maternal and newborn health;
- Psychological impact and behavioral changes associated with the pandemic.
Within the scope of this call, 50 PhD studentships will be awarded to fund the PhD student research activities that will grant the doctorate academic degree, framed within the scope of the Call, and that contribute to its objectives.
Researchers of any nationality or stateless individuals may apply.
O plano de trabalhos poderá decorrer integralmente ou de forma parcial numa instituição nacional (bolsa no país ou bolsa mista, respetivamente), ou realizar-se integralmente numa instituição estrangeira (bolsa no estrangeiro).
The work plan may take place entirely or partially in a national institution (studentship in Portugal or both in Portugal and abroad, respectively), or be carried out entirely in a foreign institution (studentship abroad).
Applications are submitted electronically, using the form available on the myFCT portal. Each candidate may submit a single application.
Before submitting your application, we highly recommend you the careful reading of the following documents: Notice of the Call, Annex I to the Notice of the Call (Evaluation Guide), Application Guide, Research Fellowship Holder Statute and FCT Regulation for Studentships and Fellowships.
The call is open between 1 June and 17:00 (Lisbon time) on 30 June 2021.
For questions related to the application and the respective form, please contact us using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be the only communication channel for questions directly related to filling in the application form.
To clarify any question about the creation and management of your CV, the CIÊNCIAVITAE platform you may contact its helpdesk via email@example.com