Skip to main content

Call Individual Scientific Employment Stimulus 2018


Applications for the second edition of Call Stimulus for Individual Scientific Employment 2018 will run until February 20, 2019. The Call provides for the hiring of 300 researchers, at four levels - junior, assistant, principal and coordinator.

Doctoral degree holders in all scientific areas who wish to carry out their scientific research or technological development activities in Portugal, integrated in R&D units funded by FCT may apply. In their application, researchers must indicate which will be their host institution and this must be associated with the respective application until March 6, 2019. Only then will applications be considered complete.

The evaluation is carried out by an international panel of recognized merit. The candidate's scientific background, with emphasis on the last 5 years, makes up 70% of the evaluation, and the proposed research plan corresponds to the remaining 30%. The research plan must be framed within the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The selected researchers will be hired by the identified host institution, through FCT funding.

The Call 'Stimulus for Individual Scientific Employment 2018' is one of the funding mechanisms provided for in the Scientific Employment Regulation, launched by FCT in 2017 with the aim of supporting the systematic strengthening of scientific employment in the SCTN, increasing the employment pathways and opportunities for doctoral students and effective scientific employment after doctoral studies. Through a diversified framework of support for scientific employment, the reduction of precarious jobs in scientific research, institutional rejuvenation and the attractiveness of the national territory for science and technology are guaranteed.

This is the second edition of the Individual CEEC. In its first edition, in 2017, 500 places were allocated to doctoral researchers. At this moment, the analysis of the prior hearing of Call is underway, with the evaluation of more than two thirds of the submitted claims already completed. The final results of Individual CEEC 2017 will be released before the end of the application period of Individual CEEC 2018.

FCT also supports other Scientific Employment mechanisms, such as the Call Stimulus to Institutional Scientific Employment 2018, under which institutions are currently opening 400 Calls for FCT-funded contracts; the transitional rule of Decree-Law no. 57/2016, as amended by Law no. 57/2017, under which approximately 2.000 employment contracts; the latest edition of the Call of projects in all scientific fields, under which 1,600 doctoral researchers are funded; and the 2017/2018 Evaluation process of R&D Units, which will include the allocation of 400 employment contracts for researchers.