Skip to main content

National supercomputer Deucalion is inaugurated today

The fastest Portuguese supercomputer ever, Deucalion, will be installed at the University of Minho and accessible to the academic community, companies and public administration as of today, 6 September.

With the capacity to perform 10 million billion calculations per second, Deucalion will significantly increase the country's high-performance computing capacity. It aims to accelerate the production of excellence in science and innovation in Portugal in various fields, such as Artificial Intelligence, personalised medicine, pharmaceutical design and new materials, Earth and ocean observation, combating climate change and fires, creating Smart Cities, territorial planning, mobility and autonomous vehicles.

Prime Minister António Costa, Minister of Science, Technology and Higher Education Elvira Fortunato and the President of FCT Madalena Alves will attend the inauguration. The event will include speeches by the Rector of the University of Minho, Rui Vieira de Castro, the Deputy Director-General of DG-Connect, Thomas Skordas, the Executive Director of EuroHPC, Anders Dam Jensen, and the Associate Director of the Barcelona Supercomputer Centre, Josep M. Martoreli.

This project by FCT and the European joint venture EuroHPC represents a joint investment of 20 million euros, 35% of which comes from EuroHPC's EU funds and the remaining 65% from funds from the Recovery and Resilience Plan, received by FCT as a direct beneficiary of Investment RE-C05-i08 "Ciência Mais Digital".