The call Maria de Sousa Call for PhD Studentships – 2022 SEAGULL – Seeking Epidemiological and Virological Answers is focused on the development of knowledge to create the skills required to answer to virologic phenomena, including pandemics, and that may translate into efficient prevention measures, better healthcare and an effective support to citizens.
The Call will support applications in any scientific field that contribute to the following objectives and areas of knowledge:
1. Epidemiology and risk factors for infection, and severe illness caused by the virus;
2. Human-animal interaction, mechanisms of resistance and inter-species transmission of the virus, and the risk of pandemics;
3. Prevention and preparedness strategies for new viral epidemics, including vaccines;
4. Innovative approaches, including new methods and new technologies, for viral disease diagnosis;
5. Characterization of the viral infection mechanisms;
6. Characterization of the host's immune, cellular and serological, response to infection by the virus, impact of age and comorbidities;
7. Development of new therapies and new therapeutic approaches, including life support and personal protection equipment to fight viral diseases;
8. Effects of viral infection on maternal and new-born health;
9. Psychological impact and behavioural changes associated with epidemics or pandemics of virological origin.
Within the scope of the Maria de Sousa Call for PhD Studentships – 2022, 10 PhD studentships will be awarded to fund the research activities that will grant the doctorate academic degree, framed within the scope of the Call, and that contribute to its objectives.
Researchers of any nationality or stateless individuals may apply.
The work plan may take place entirely or partially in a national institution (studentship in Portugal or both in Portugal and abroad, respectively), or be carried out entirely in a foreign institution (studentship abroad).
Applications are submitted electronically, using the form available on the MyFCT portal. Each candidate may submit a single application.
Before submitting your application, we highly recommend you the careful reading of the following documents: Notice of the Call, Annex I to the Notice of the Call (Evaluation Guide), Application Guide, Research Fellowship Holder Statute and the FCT Regulation for Students and Fellowships.